Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Tale Of New Holes


"I have had the first piercings in my ears since I was in class 7. My mother did them as a ritual. The second and third holes were my choice. When I got the second hole done, I was shopping. I just decided that I wanted a second piercing in both ears," says Poonam Dash, a student.

Piercing the ear a second time is the mantra of the day. The original idea of piercing the earlobe once has become outdated. A second piercing along the ear-rim or on the earlobe itself, has taken the youngsters by a storm. It is something unusual and these days, anything unusual becomes a fashion. It attracts attention and a trend is created. Most of the youngsters are attracted towards these trends.

Apart from youngsters, housewives are also not left behind in keeping up with this trend. They too are getting their ears pierced a second time. Payal Gosh, a housewife, says: "If it is just one piercing in the ear no one will notice. But if we have a second hole it catches ones eyes immediately as something unusual. People look good and again, it's the new style."

Piercing was considered to be a painful process earlier but now it has become safer and pain-free. Guns are used for piercing rather than needles, which could have been a house of infections. It also takes less time. Rupanwita Mohanty says, "My ear piercing with gun took about 5 seconds and apart from a slight tingle, it wasn't painful. I wore my small hoop earring after that".

To those who love earrings, piercing is not matter of fashion at all. "To me it was never a fashion trend to be followed like my friends said. I am fascinated about earrings, so I got my ear pierced a second time. It looks cute," says Rebecca Joy Sahu, a student.

An extra metal on your ear gives one a stunning look. Piercing brings about a change in the looks and presentation of one's personality. One can opt for good combinations of earrings with ear lobes pierced twice. There are jewellery shops in the city where you can get your ear pierced with the gun and can also buy your favourite design.

Jewellery shops are gathering huge profits thanks to this trend. "This trend has brought about more sale of earrings. People prefer to buy small ear tops or diamonds to enhance their looks" says Owner of Bina Jewellers.

It doesn't matter whether you look stylish or trendy but with fashion trends changing from time to time, one has to catch up and do in Rome as the Romans do! So go ahead and try going through that childhood experience of ear-piercing again!

No comments: